Let’s say you’ve written a manuscript and are jazzed about it. But, you’ve lost some steam because you aren’t quite sure what to do next. How do you find the right publishing house that aligns with your book-to-be? When it comes to vetting potential publishing houses, it all boils down to a handful of questions. Keep reading to learn the 9 publisher questions you must ask a prospective publisher-—plus, our replies.
9 Publisher Questions To Ask A Prospective Publisher
In order to avoid the myriad of predatory publishers out there, it’s up to you to do thorough research. That doesn’t mean you have to do it alone. These are the 9 most important questions you can ask a publisher when making your decision.
- What Are Your Publishing Values?
- Who Is Your Target Audience?
- How Does Your Editing Process Work?
- What Types of Books and Authors Do You Work With?
- May I Speak With Recent Authors?
- What Happens If I Want to Get Out of My Contract?
- Will I Be Required To Purchase Copies of the Book?
- What Is My Royalty Arrangement?
- May I Review Your Contract?
For an in-depth explanation of why you should ask these questions—and exactly what you should ask—check out our free PDF on the subject below.Download Your Free Guide to Publisher Questions
Publish Your Purpose: The Hybrid Publisher for Storytellers
If you’re interested in publishing your book with us, you won’t even have to go through the trouble of asking us these questions. Why? Because we’ve already answered them in depth below. Of course, if you need more information or support, do reach out to us!
Without further ado, here are our answers to the 9 publisher questions.
1. What Are Your Publishing Values?
We are an LGBTQ+ and women-owned B Corporation™ with a mission to elevate the voices often excluded from traditional publishing.
We intentionally seek out authors and storytellers with diverse backgrounds, life experiences, and unique perspectives to publish books that will make an impact in the world.
We strive to be as inclusive and diverse as we possibly can be but recognize there is still work to be done. To date, 69% of our authors are women, 46% are LGBTQ+, and 24% are Black and Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC).
2. Who Is Your Target Audience?
Our readers crave new, revolutionary ideas in subject areas ranging from social justice to entrepreneurship. There is no idea too big for the readers of our books, and we do not turn down book ideas because they are “out there” or “too sensitive.”
Most publishing houses have a target audience—and if you don’t “fit” into it, your manuscript won’t be considered. We intentionally publish these underrepresented voices in print.
3. How Does Your Editing Process Work?
At Publish Your Purpose, we think it is essential that editors and authors have a connection, and that the editor can act as a thought partner to improve upon the author’s manuscript.
If your manuscript is accepted, it will undergo a thorough internal review process. You will then have the opportunity to choose your editor! Among our editors, you are bound to find one who has a connection to your book’s subject matter or just matches your vibe. It is essential that you are excited about your editor—trust us, you will be.
Depending on the state of your manuscript, we will provide developmental editing, copyediting, and/or proofreading. But don’t worry—all edits must be approved by you before they are put into effect. Unlike some other publishing houses, we center the author in the editing process.
4. What Types of Books and Authors Do You Work With?
We publish nonfiction books and memoirs. Our authors are thought leaders, experts in their fields, and visionaries paving the way to social change—from food security to anti-racism. While we love all kinds of literature, we do not currently publish fiction, poetry, or children’s books.Explore Our Books
5. May I Speak With Recent Authors?
Yes, please! Our authors love to talk to aspiring authors about their experiences with our publishing house. If you would like to meet with a recent author, just let us know over email and we can connect you.
6. What Happens If I Want to Get Out of My Contract?
If you decide that you no longer wish to publish your book with us, you can get out of the contract without fees or fuss. All we ask is for a 30-day notice so that we can remove your book from distribution and from our systems, and prepare and package your files so that you can take your work elsewhere!
7. Will I Be Required To Purchase Copies of the Book?
This might sound odd… but some publishing houses require that you purchase large quantities of your book yourself. At PYP, we do not have a minimum book order requirement.
In fact, we operate on an eco-conscious print-by-demand model. We also encourage our authors to air on the side of caution with their first round of printing. Less is more when ensuring there are no typos in the manuscript that you won’t want in the next round of printing.
And if you’ve found a local printer that you’d like to use, we are all about it! We love supporting local businesses and saving you money, any day of the week.
8. What Is My Royalty Arrangement?
At PYP we pay our authors 85% in royalties. PYP pays royalties every 3-months and has never been delayed in making payments to our authors.Apply to Publish Your Book
9. May I Review Your Contract?
Absolutely. We don’t hide anything in the fine print. (Reach out and request a contract review here.)
Some things to keep in mind from our contracts:
- We offer hardcover, paperback, and ebook formatting for our books. Audiobooks are available upon specific request
- The author always has the rights to their book. The author is always listed as the copyright holder and the author always legally owns the book when it’s published
- If you want to make changes to the work that is already published, you can. We just need to ensure that your edits adhere to our quality requirements
- If you want to put your book on your website, give copies to a friend, or make your book available elsewhere, go for it! We have strategic conversations with our authors to ensure they are leveraging their books in all of the places they can
Ready to Publish Your Book?
If you finished reading this piece, and thought, “Wow. This publishing house sounds like a great fit for my book,” you’re not alone. We have published over 100 books to date and counting! (Plus, we’re a certified B Corp.) We would love to meet you and discuss your publishing dreams.Let’s Publish Your Book